Monday, July 28, 2008

Comic Con 2008 - Day 1

Friday at Comic Con was wonderful! Even though it was too crowded to get into many of the panels, we had a great time wandering around the exhibit hall, and saying hello to friends.
The jetpack was a big hit. Although a few people were confused and couldn't figure out what character I was supposed to be, the majority of people who approached me recognized it as an original steampunk design, and were very impressed! People liked the fans in particular. I think it was too dark at the ball to see the fans properly, and too bright at the Con to see some of the light functions.

Claire joined me in wearing a steampunk outfit, premiering her new corset that she made in her digital fabric printing class.


The highlight of the day had to be when I stopped by the Weta booth, where they had a number of their ray guns on display. Their newest model is a huge ray-blunderbuss! The people at the booth were very impressed with my outfit, and suggested I pose for some photos with the blunderbuss and its designer, Greg Broadmore!


After posing for the photos, I got the chance to meet Richard Taylor, the head of Weta Workshop, and a great hero of mine! He was incredibly friendly, and told me that the jetpack was "bloody marvelous!" I just about fell over right there.
I spent the evening having dinner and socializing with the League of S.T.E.A.M.... a wonderful end to a wonderful day!
Day 2 report is on its way.

No comments: