Thursday, July 27, 2006

Comic Con Report: Day 2


We woke up bright and early on Saturday morning, ready to face another exciting day at Comic Con. I suited up in my costume and after a quick breakfast we walked down to the convention center.


This is what I wore on Saturday. It's the T-1000 from Terminator 2: Judgement Day. I'll do a more detailed posting on the creation and the specific elements of the costume, but this pretty much shows what it looks like. Of all the costumes I've ever worn, I think this one got the biggest reaction, and I think that's saying a lot. We didn't even get a block from the hotel when a guy stopped me and asked to take a video of the costume. People were shouting out things like, "awesome!" "sweet!" "radical!" Okay, maybe not that last one, but as I passed I could hear everyone exclaiming, or even just pointing out to their friends that a terminator just walked by.

The day started with the LOST panel, which was a lot of fun. Of course they didn't reveal anything about what was going to happen, but it seemed like the panelists were having a good time so it was really entertaining. Afterwards I made a futile attempt to wander around the exhibit hall but I kept getting stopped to have photos taken of me. God knows who has photos of me. They're probably floating around the internet somewhere. I felt like a character at Disneyland or something, the way people were lining up to pose with me. It was awesome. Dad and I made our annual trip to Dick's Last Resort, a great barbeque restaurant where the staff are intentionally rude and insulting to you.

After lunch, we went to the SHAG panel. If you aren't familiar with him, he's an amazing painter who does these sort of retro tiki lounge paintings. They're really cool, and you should check him out at www.shag.com . I had to leave the presentation to go to the Disney panel, at which they presented stuff from Pirates of the Caribbean. They explained in great detail the effects used to make Davy Jones, and they even previewed some clips of the third film! It was quite awesome. Immediately after followed Sony's presentation of Ghost Rider and Spider-Man 3. The crowd went wild when the first actual footage of Venom was played on the screen.

I met up with my dad and the =Phenomenauts= outside the Adult Swim panel, which they had gone to, and the drummer Jimmy Boom came with me and dad to a couple of fancy cocktail parties for animation industry professionals. After getting weird looks from drunk people coming out of the clubs (I was still in my costume) we collapsed back at the hotel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you end up using styrene or cardboard or foamcore for the arm thingies? I'm interested because they look great and I want to know how they held up through what must have been at least a slightly taxing day for them.

mary

Anonymous said...

hentaiplayground login password hentaiplayground login password hentaiplayground login password hentaiplayground login password

This a good link's !
Posted by Admin