Wednesday, July 19, 2006

First Post - An Enchanted Evening

Well, even though this is my first post and I've got a lot of time to make up and things to discuss, I'll start with my most recent experience: The Labyrinth of Jareth Masquerade Ball! Wow, what an event. Not only did I get a chance to show off my own costume, but I got to see so many amazing costumes that other people had made. Unlike a run-of-the-mill Halloween or costume party, everyone clearly put a ton of time and effort into their costumes.

I attended in my trademark "Baron von Fogel" outfit. As the following photos show, the costume consists of a vintage collapsible top hat, welding goggles, shoulder armor (four aluminum plates that I cut, filed, curved, buffed, and riveted to a leather strip and a belt), and a vintage tailcoat (courtesy of Kate). Oh, and my Russian pocket watch made a fine accessory. But enough of this banter. Here are the photos:




While at the ball, I met up with a group of my friends from high school. Here's Minni's awesome costume:

I also met up with some people from the LA-based fan group Tolkien Forever. They seem to pop up at all the geek events. Additionally, I ran into Kato, an acquaintance from MySpace (She's one of Dr. Steel's nurses! If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to www.doctorsteel.com and check it out). Plus, I made some new friends there! I spent a good deal of time wandering around with a nice girl named Meghan who was wearing an awesome Arwen dress.

I chatted for quite some time with David and Paloma Candelaria, who are two of the most brilliant costumers I've ever seen. They were so incredibly nice, and they were very encouraging to me as a budding costumer. If you don't know who they are, please check out their site at www.palomadavid.com and prepare to be amazed.

I suppose that's all for now. More pics from the ball will come as they show up!

No comments: