Sunday, March 02, 2008


Hey everyone...

I can't believe it's been this long, but I'm finally getting around to update. I've been extremely busy as of late, but the upside of that is that I've got lots of new work to show, so I'll most likely be updating the blog a bit more frequently. Anyway, on to the matter at hand... (no pun intended)

During my Winter semester, I did an independent study project in which I explored some special effects techniques. The first half of the semester was devoted to creating a realistic severed arm. To put it bluntly, this project turned out to be a real bitch. The main problem was really just the availability of materials here in Rhode Island that really caused some delays and other problems. In the end though, everything worked out and I wound up with a great looking finished product.

The arm is made of latex filled with polyurethane foam. The torn muscle on the end is plain old latex.

It was painted with acrylic paint, with a couple layers of clear nail polish on the fingernails. I used my brand new Iwata Eclipse airbrush and Sprint Jet compressor to paint the arm!

So, there you have it! I look forward to getting back on track with a more regular posting schedule. Sorry again for the long hiatus!

No comments: